This week the Doyles are offering rhubarb.
Prices for fresh cut rhubarb without leaves are $2.00/ half pound bundle.
Doyle's RhubarbSONY DSC
A nice recipe utilizing rhubarb is from Sally Fallon's Nourishing Tradition's Cookbook, pg 538
- 6 cups fresh rhubarb stalks (absolutely no leaves), cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon freshly ground ginger (less is fine, or even omit if you don’t like ginger)
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup raw honey
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped with a touch of raw honey (or your sweetener of choice)
- Place rhubarb, ginger and water in a pan and bring to a boil.
- If you’re adding berries, add them now and reduce heat to a simmer and cook about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb (and berries) disintegrates.
- Allow to cool and stir in honey to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, or fold in whipped cream into the cooled compote to make a mousse.
- If you made compote – it freezes very well. If you made mousse, try adding to an already baked and cooled pie crust!